Hey Harold, I am not done compiling your printer driver, but doesn't seem that difficult anymore. It boils down to a simple but forgotten concept: RTFM!!! ;-)
Pls read and try:
./cnijfilter/INSTALL You may need to install some other packages, but for the most part, the instructions work.
There are other 'INSTALL' that you'll need, first one:
./libs/INSTALL
I believe that the others can go on any sequence (if you need them at all)
Do:
find|grep INSTALL
To summarize, follow the instructions on:
./cnijfilter/INSTALL
which will lead you to follow first
./libs/INSTALL
And holla' this way if (when) you have a specific problem.
ET

Harold writes:
ET, Thank you for your reply. This is the link that I sourced the files from. http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0100302002.html Is that acceptable? I will try the procedure you proposed later this evening after my wife is done using the machine. Only one file has been changed on the system since I loaded it so I will not risk a lot with your "dangerous proposition" (I love the expression)
Harold