From: PLUG-discuss [mailto:plug-discuss-boun...@lists.phxlinux.org] On Behalf
Of Bob Elzer
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:12 AM
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: installed livecd to boot sector?

Michael, I don't know how to fix the current problem but I can help you from
getting into these situations in the future.

Backup Backup Backup

Before you start making changes to your OS, you need to make a bare metal
backup.
The easiest way to accomplish this is to clone the OS drive.

After you clone, then if you screw up the Os you can just do a reverse clone
and you are back to where you started.

Also you need to stop doing open heart surgery, for an ingrown toenail. If
you're having issues with darktable, post a question about the problem,
upgrading the OS seems like overkill.

I've mentioned this before, you should look at running your system in a virtual
machine.

Then before making changes to the system you can take a snapshot, make the
changes and then test them. If things go wrong, you just reboot to the previous
snapshot, if all is fine after a week, you can delete the old snapshot.

You could also clone the virtual system and do testing in the clone before
updating the original.

Backup Backup Backup

If you had a bare metal backup, you'd be up and running already.

Hope this helps for the future.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018, 8:22 PM Michael