Problem is simple "The Firewall" & "DNS". Add DNS suffix in FC 6 and
try again. Or specify correct DNS addresses.
By default Firewall options are disabled in "Knoppix 5.1". So even you can
connect to wireless network.

Can you please explain it more clearly and in detail?  I use a Netgear DG632
modem/router with BSNL Dataone.  The router is configured to connect
automatically using my userID / password, and it assigns IP address
dynamically to my desktop.  Therefore, the network connection does not need
to have any configuration details.  Do I need to specify the DNS manually
for my default connection on eth0?

I had also tried disabling SELinux completely, but that didn't help.  Please
explain what you meant in your first two lines above.

Thanks in advance.