On 2 April 2018 at 10:18, Arun Khan <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 9:01 PM, Gaurav Pant <gaurav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 12:45 AM, Arun Khan <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Cloudflare announces public DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 on 4/1 (April
>>> 1).
>>>
>>> NO -- it’s not an April Fool’s joke.   Scroll down to the end of the blog.
>>

>> Looks like one :) tried to ping 1.1.1.1 no reply.
>>

> Ping response is not necessarily a good test.  After all, many servers
> are configured to drop ICMP echo request to avoid DDoS.

I did end user testing over the weekend.

Equipments & softwares used as follows =  Ubuntu 16.04 , Mozilla &
Chrome browsers, HP i5 powered latest gen laptop, 2mbps broadband
connection over RJ11, TP Link wifi router with 1.1.1.1 manually fixed
DNS, performed rounds of tcpdumps to ensure all traffic is using
1.1.1.1 DNS server, confirmed speed over sppedtest before proceeding

My observations as follows =

- Indian web-sites take lot of time to load for example zee5.com.
- Few services gave location unknown error
- Browsing of YouTube video's was ok but not that great [Not streaming
but loading list of videos while scrolling]
- Facebook,twitter,linkedin browsing was slow
- Overall web browsing slowed down & in later stage died loading basic
search engine pages like bing,duckduckgo.
-  AWS dashboards & console took significant time to load
- Not frequently used/accessed web sites like slack.com died loading
several times in multiple browsers

Conclusion =

 After switching to ISP's DNS, everything got resumed as expected.

Regards,
Amey.