On Jan 13, 2008 12:00 AM, Drexx Laggui [personal] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 12Jan2008 (UTC +8)
>
> I guess that with regular PCs, "badblocks -c 512 -s -w -t random" will
> be good enough and a bit more useful. With with higher-risk computers
> however, I'd recommend the use of "dd if=/dev/urandom". For the truly
> secure machines that have the luxury of more preparation time, "dd
> if=/dev/random" is the way to go.

i wont recommend badblocks with -t random parameter for scrubbing your
disk as it uses the C standard library random() function ... random()
function uses a non-linear additive feedback random generator as this
would easily for cryptanalyst to decrypt your data....

/dev/urandom and /dev/random used the same entropy pool to gather
environmental noise from device drivers to form number of bits to
generate random number...

/dev/random is a blocking state until it satisfies or fills up its
entropy pool to a specified number of bits to produce better
randomness.. that is why its takes too long when you benchmark using
the /dev/random device...

/dev/urandom is a non-blocking state... it will not block waiting for
other entropies to fill up the number of bits but instead uses its own
algorithm with some value in the entropy pool to produce
pseudo-randomness... but it will used that number of bits once it
fills up...

fooler.