On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Edel SM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> im thinking that the offloading feature of good nic will help router's
> overall performance. my router is p3 450mhz w/ 512mb memory. it has
> also pc300 sync card going to a frame-relay link. the pc300 has its
> own processor, so it will not load the main cpu very much. but, what
> bout my NIC?

you cannot benefit the tcp offloading feature of a nic if you put this
on your box acting as a router... the basic mechanism of a router is
to route or forward packets based on the destination address... as the
packets pass on the router... router will only decrease the ip
header's ttl value, if the value is zero, it drops the packet and send
icmp type 11 (time exceeded) back to the sender...  if the value is
non-zero.. recompute and updates the checksum in the ip header and
forwards on the next hop based on its routing table...

ip routing is done on layer 3 while tcp offloading is done on layer 4....

fooler.