On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Edel SM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i have this setup currently:
>
>                                                        +-----------------+
>                             (frame-relay)     |                       |vlanB
>                         +---telcoA-----------+ pc300
> +------------ lan A
>                         |                                |
>          |vlanC
> internet -------+                               |
> +------------ lan B
>                         |                               |
>          |vlanN
>                        +---telcoB-----------+vlanA
> +------------- dmz X
>                           (10mbps fiber)   |                       |
>                                                        +----------------+
>                                                            router

your diagram mess up but doesnt matter...

> that work fine. but somtimes the pc router pauses/hang for a while if
> there's so much traffic (FS file transfer, web uploading, etc).
> sometimes hte NIC stops responding (hang?) and we need to reboot the
> router. it may be also be a problem in the driver, switch, etc.

there are lots of reasons for this and i cant pin point exactly the
caused of your problem...

your host acts as router and your troubleshooting narrows down from
layer 1 to layer 3 out of 7 layers of OSI layering model..

layer 1 or physical layer..  probably a faulty cabling that caused
pauses or hanging for a while... try to replace with a new cable if
that solves the problem...

layer 2 or datalink layer... probably a faulty nic or nic's device
driver or vlan (802.1q) implementation of your OS... for nic and nic's
device driver.. try to replace a different nic even a cheap one so
that it uses a different device driver if that solves the problem...
for vlan... you are using an old pc acting as a router and i assuming
you are using an old version of your OS...  try to upgrade the OS
kernel if that solves the problem...

layer 3 or network layer... probably a faulty tcp/ip stack... same
with vlan...try to upgrade the OS kernel if that solves the problem...

other factors aside from the OSI layers... a faulty hardware like
internal power supply... ram... cpu fan... motherboard.. etc...

you can start from layer 1 and upward ... but im suspecting more on
layer 2 that caused of your problem...

if you can show to us the output of "ethtool -S ethX" where X is the
number for each of your network card installed... we can take a look
from errors such as overruns, crc and others..

fooler.