I think 10Mbit ethernet requires 2pairs, 100mbit requires 4 pairs, perhaps
you broke a pair or two during installation.

See http://www.derose.net/steve/guides/wiring/#phone .

I used this guide to run reliable 10Mbit Ethernet and an analog phone line
through 8 pair Cat 3 buried under a driveway.  My run is only about 50 feet,
however.

-- Patrick Timlick

Cat5e
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Joe Pruett <j...@q7.com> wrote:

> > On a hunch after verifying that it still works when I use a 10Mbit hub,
> > I replaced the hub with a crossover coupler.  That is, I used something
> > that is almost equivalent to a 100Mbit hub with 2 ports.  It isn't
> > working where I'm seeing the same symptoms.
> >
> > What could be making this work at 10Mbit but not at 100Mbit?  The first
> > line in the first building is 100' of Cat5e UTP cable, the second line
> > is 90' of at least Cat5 STP cable.
> >
> > I'll have to check the lights on both ends.  It just seems odd, I have
> > a Netgear FA311 nic on both ends so they should be able to talk to each
> > other.
> >
> > I have a new Netgear switch, but I don't want to open it unless I can't
> > get this working.
> >
> > I wish I had some way of verifying that the line can operate at
> > 100 Mbps.
> >
> > I'm wondering if the Cat5 STP cable is having problems.
>
> stp is actually more of a problem for long runs than utp is.  do you have
> the shield grounded at just one end?  if not, you could have a lovely
> ground loop going on.

p.j.timl...@ieee.org
www.timlick.com
503-476-3119