I've had good luck, at work and home with SMC switches (I think they are now
owned by LG-Ericsson)... they are reasonably affordable (for what you get...
but are probably more expensive than D-Link/Linksys/Netgear/etc.), fairly
sturdily built (if you buy the metal-cased ones), and have been reliable for
me (many SMC's come with a lifetime warranty). They might be a little harder
to find (especially locally), but are available online at many places (CDW,
to name just one place - not necessarily the best).

>From the sounds of it, the SMCGS24 is the one you
want:<http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=7&scid=39&pid=1414>
goo.gl/mf0LA - Item on SMC's website
goo.gl/EVntD - Item for sale at CDW's website ($220)

They, of course, have higher-end models with more features (PoE, VLANs, QoS,
etc.) - but those sound like they'd be overkill for you. I THINK this is one
of the SMC switches that has a lifetime warranty (it does according to CDW's
website).

As a VERY rough indicator (regardless of brand), I usually look for a switch
that has an internal power supply (no wall-wart/external power supply) - it
just uses a standard computer power cable... this TENDS to imply a certain
level of quality (again, YMMV). I would classify these devices as being near
Aaron's "Enterprise" equipment - but maybe a little more accessible that
most 3com/ProCurve type equipment that generally come with a lot more
features (at a much higher cost).

Anyhow... that's my $0.02... YMMV, FWIW, HTH, and all the other usual
acronyms.

-Rick