>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    At the PLUG clinic last week the Sony Vaio laptop on the
Rich> wireless interface, wlan0, received an IP address, had the Free
Rich> Geek server provide content in /etc/resolv.conf, but would not
Rich> load the Free Geek web page to accept their terms and conditions
Rich> and gain access to the 'Net.

Just a heads-up, NoCatAuth (which I believe FreeGeek is using)
typically won't let you use your own nameservers because all your
traffic (with specific exceptions) is blocked until you accept the
conditions.  In those cases, the network is expecting you to use its
DHCP supplied nameserver(s).  I'm going to guess (necessary since you
don't provide enough information) that your machine is not accepting
the DHCP provided nameserver(s), but using your own overrides (8.8.8.8
is one of google's public DNS servers).

I don't actually know how FreeGeek is configured.

--
Russell Senior, President
russ...@personaltelco.net