On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Mike Connors wrote:

> But I think the strongest clue that it's most likely an ip connectivity
> issue is the fact that he can't ping the default gateway, which is probably
> the WAP, dhcp server, router, captive portal all in one. This tells me his
> laptop is isolated from the network.

Mike, Russell J, Russell S, et al.:

   In my naivte about the subtleties of wireless networking I'm floundering
in a sea of good ideas offered by all of you. Obviously, my knowledge is but
a small fraction of what's needed to resolve this issue.

   I am willing to bring the Sony and my Dell to any wifi hot spot in the
area to meet one of you and have you work with me in figuring out the
problem. It will probably take only a short time to fix with someone who
knows much more than do I about wireless connectivity at the keyboard.

   The location is probably immaterial; the coffee shop on the corner of
242nd and Stark is where I've been. My friend tries to connect at a coffee
shop in downtown Gresham. I'll drive to Portland to meet anyone willing to
devote the time to work this out ... and I'll buy the coffee (or lunch).

Rich