On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Russell Senior <seni...@aracnet.com> wrote:

> Denis> I am trying to set up my new printer to connect to the internet
> Denis> for HPInstantInk.  I understand the way to insure that the
> Denis> printer has a static IP address is to give it one above the DHCP
> Denis> range of the router.  The router currently has a range of
> Denis> 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.  I cannot find out how to change
> Denis> this range.  I edited the .254 to .253 but it does not stick.  I
> Denis> do not see a save or some such feature.  What is the trick?
>
> Uh-oh.  Denis is looking at me, since I recommended it.  Unfortunately,
> I don't use the stock firmware, so I don't actually know the answer.
> You could flash OpenWrt on it, and then have all the OpenWrt tools,
> which I'm know absolutely allows you to specify DHCP ranges as well as
> reserve leases by mac address.
>
> Is it possible that you can rely on zeroconf to locate your printer?
> And just let it take a dynamic address, but find it using multicast DNS.
>
> If you want to put OpenWrt on it, I can help with that.
>

> --
> Russell Senior

Sigh.  I appreciate the offer to help with changing to OpenWrt, but I
would like to get this set up now.   Maybe you can speculate on
meaning of the following documentation and observations:

The user guide says "The AirRouter configuration is stored in plain text file
(cfg file). Use the Configuration Management controls to backup,
restore or update the system configuration file"

Backup Configuration  Click Download to download the current system
configuration file."

So I just now clicked Download.  What appeared is a .cfg file of 6.8
kB.  What I see along side this file is a .sup file which is a Gzip
archive.  Both  have the same long name XM-00...  But the date on the
.sup is 9:30 last night.  I do not know what I did last night that may
have triggered the creation of that file, and it will not extract
(error).

Anyway, the .cfg file contains the following lines related to dhcp:

dhcpc.1.devname=eth1
dhcpc.1.fallback=192.168.10.1
dhcpc.1.fallback_netmask=255.255.255.0
dhcpc.1.status=enabled
dhcpc.status=enabled
dhcpd.1.devname=eth0
dhcpd.1.dns.1.server=
dhcpd.1.dns.1.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dns.2.server=
dhcpd.1.dns.2.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dnsproxy=enabled
dhcpd.1.end=192.168.1.254
dhcpd.1.lease_time=600
dhcpd.1.netmask=255.255.255.0
dhcpd.1.start=192.168.1.2
dhcpd.1.status=enabled
dhcpd.status=enabled

I suspect that the .end line is what needs to change.  But it seems
dangerous to edit this file and expect that it would work just fine.

Do you think it would be safe to try, assuming I have saved the
original file to use in case of a screw-up?

-Denis