My desktop machine used to respond quickly to the opening of a program,
or the return from screen saver. Now those actions are slow. The
programs appear to run fine. This didn't used to be the case, as
recently as just a few months ago. The most noticeable thing is when
returning from screen saver. I have two monitors, one VGA and the other
DVI. The VGA screen does come back quickly, but the DVI screen takes a
couple of seconds. And when it does, the windows that are open are blank
for another second before their content returns.

Any recommendations on where to start looking for why this happens and
how to fix it?

A few of the machine details (built by ENU):
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory (Bank 0 and Bank 2): DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz (0.8 ns),
4GiB each
Display: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]

--
Regards,