On Fri, 6 May 2016 13:58:32 -0700, in message
572d0578.10...@speakeasy.net, Robert Munro wrote:

> On Thu, 5 May 2016 15:52:04 Dick Steffens wrote:
> > On 05/05/2016 10:10 AM, Neal wrote:
> <snip>
> > I haven't found one, but I got caught up in work.
> >

> The package gkrellm is what you want for a compact visual performance
> monitor. It should be available in your distribution repositories, and
> takes just a minute to install and set up. I keep an instance running
> all the time in a vertical one inch wide strip on the left side of one
> virtual desktop, which also features a console tracking log messages.
> You can run top in another session to see what's using cpu, and so on.

Rather than running top, you can install a GKrellM plugin,
gkrelltop.  This will show the (up to) three busiest programs in
the system.  That, along with the other integral activity graphs,
can give one a nice picture of the system status.  Which is, of
course, GKrellM's purpose.

There is a similar program, Conky, which purports to do much the
same thing.  I've not used it, but others seem pleased with it.

--Dale

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
    -- Charlie McCarthy