On 09/23/2016 09:08 AM, bro...@netgate.net wrote:

> From: STRUCTURE EVENTS Newsletter

> KREBSONSECURITY HIT WITH RECORD DDOS
>
> Brian Krebs is one of the most hard-working and influential journalists in
> the field of information security, which means he has made a few enemies
> over the years. Krebs' site was hit this week by what Akamai called the
> largest DDoS attack it had ever seen, according to a blog post from Krebs.
> He later tweeted that Akamai was forced to take his site offline.
>
>> And the bad guys win; that's exactly what they were trying to achieve. How
>> unfortunate.
>
> It's time we start to defend our Internet borders similar to how we defend
> our actual borders. After helping to build this mess I'm convinced it's
> time to make the Internet a much smaller place. Still allowing anyone
> access, but for most services your worldview would be much smaller than it
> is today. If a distributed network such as Akamai can't offer any defense
> against this sort of attack, no one can. Think about it. This attack
> caused so much traffic on the Akamai network that it affected other
> customers. The only way they could defend their network was to remove the
> endpoint being attacked. It's time to reduce the attack surface we make
> available to the bad guys.
>
> Kevin

Absolutely fantastic.  Back to walled gardens then?  I wounder where my
old AOL CD is....is Compuserve still up?  I wonder if my house's POTS
wiring still works...

I don't think being shrinking violets is the answer.  The Internet is
now part of the growth of Human culture and knowledge and has no true
border.

Akamai and others don't protect against this sort of attack because
there simply is no business case to support the expenditure (Don't even
get me started on Yahoo).  Not only do we need to be more cognizant of
our own personal security, but we need to force private enterprise to do
the same. The network backbone is now required infrastructure - just as
important as roads/bridges and the electric grid.

After all the old ATT a Bell may have been a pain in the ass, but there
was ALWAYS a dial tone.

Perhaps, too, we should also take a few of our congress critters behind
the wood shed for a security lesson.  They will then not be so keen to
allow our "three letter agencies" to poke holes into our networks, but,
rather, figure ways to improve security.

-Ed