If I understand you correctly, you have done following:
1. Opened gnome terminal
2. Started Firefox by typing: firefox
3. You tried to start yast2 from the same terminal by typing: yast2
And nothing happened - Am I right?
If yes, then try to start firefox and yast2 as background processes by
adding & to the end of your command lines - like this:
firefox &
yast2 &
That way the commands will not block your terminal from executing
further commands.
Does that help?
Tomas