I suspect that my two Western Digital 4TB Red drives are only 3-4
years old.  I'm running FreeNAS 9.10 U3.  I'm getting an error
finding the ZFS filesystem that is striped across the two drives.
Thought maybe I had done a mirror, no such luck.  I suppose I can
take these drives to someone who can do some tests to find out if
one or both of them have gone bad.  Can they be repaired?  How
about the data on them?

I'm debating the wisdom of buying any hard drive, especially one
that is larger than 2 terabytes.  The failure rate of large drives
is too high if they fail in under 3 years.  NAS is usually deployed
to make large amounts of data or backups available over a local area
network.  Failing in under 2-3 years is not acceptable for backup
purposes.  SSDs seem to be faster and more robust, but they are very
expensive at 10x the cost of hard drives.  How many writes can an SSD
take compared to a WD Red drive before it fails?  How many times can
you read a file before there is a failure between a 2TB WD Red hard
drive verses a 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD?  The former costs about
$89.99 new, the latter at least $500 new.  Does the SSD last 5x as
long as the large high end hard drive?  How repairable is the SSD
when it fails?

Increasingly, marketing hard drives as being robust seems to me to be
nothing more than marketing.  I don't care if you call your hard drive
Red, Green, Black, Blue, or Purple.  The result is the same, the drive
fails in under 5 years.  Although, I have some Green drives that seem
to do better than that.

Paying $500 for an SSD to put movies on is expensive, but spending $90
every 2-3 years could also be quite expensive.  There's the time to rip
the movies again that also has to be considered which is worth
something when you have to buy a new blank hard drive.

I may have mixed up which SATA cable is connected to which hard drive,
but it is highly likely that at least one of the 4 TB hard drives isn't
reading which makes mixing them up kinda irrelevant.  I have 2 4 TB
hard drives, 1 2 TB hard drive, and 1 500G hard drive.

I'm bidding $500 on an SSD which I'll pay via paypal credit if I win,
but I'm not thrilled about this.  That is really expensive for me right
now.  Going the hard drive route, especially if I decide we need to do
RAID or have offline spares, that gets really expensive really fast
also.

I can't convince my father, even myself, that hard drives are a good
idea.  I doubt I can convince him that a 2 TB SSD is an acceptable
option either.  Beyond 2 Terabytes, SSDS are prohibitively expensive.
Couldn't you make a high capacity 5.25" full height SSD cheaper than
a 2.5" half height high capacity SSD?  Why is it that practically all
SSDs you can get will fit in a laptop when desktops have a lot more
room?  If SSDs cost 2x what hard drives do, it wouldn't make sense to
buy hard drives anymore.  At 10x the cost, it isn't so clear.