I've been having enough odd problems with my Ubuntu MATE 16.04 machine
that I decided to move back to my Ubuntu 14.04 machine until I can
resolve them, possibly at the next clinic.

The X11 issue I'm having is on the 14.04 machine. When I boot up, I get
a mostly normal looking right hand monitor, but a left hand monitor that
shows some of the right hand background image, and the left hand image
moved off to the left so that the menu is hidden. If I slide the mouse
over beyond the left edge of the screen, things look normal.

I tried running gksudo nvidia-settings. When I clicked on the apply
button I got this error message:

__________________________
rsteff@Enu-1:~$ gksudo nvidia-settings

The program 'nvidia-settings' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
   (Details: serial 872 error_code 2 request_code 157 minor_code 25)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)
rsteff@Enu-1:~$

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks.