I don't know if my experience is similar to or helpful to you. But I decided to share it anyway. Please let me know if this info is inappropriate.

Here is how I updated BIOS on my Dell desktop that runs Ubuntu 22.04.

My computer is not on Dell’s certified list for Linux installations, but I loaded Linux on it anyway. It wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped, but with enough effort it is now running fine. It is a Dell XPS 8940 bought from Costco.

Copied from my notes ...

Before updating the BIOS I had

#*dmidecode*
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.2.0 present.
Table at 0x000E0000.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 26 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: Dell Inc.
        Version: 2.4.0
        *Release Date: 12/08/2021*

On my system anyway I discovered that even though Linux cannot open the|||exe| natively,the BIOS deals with it properly.

On 1/18/2023 I did update the BIOS. I went to the site https://www.dell.com, clicked on |desktops|, then |S||upport|, then chose |Drivers & Downloads| from the dropdown. I entered XPS 8940 in the I|dentify your Product| box. I downloaded the file |XPS_8940_2.13.1.exe|. I put this file on a thumb drive, formatted as FAT.

Then I shutdown my computer, inserted the thumb drive with the BIOS file, and rebooted, pressing F12 during reboot. The |One-Time Boot Menu| appears. Why this is called the |One-Time Boot Menu |is beyond me.

I selected |BIOS Flash Update|. I was presented with a screen that allowed me to navigate to my thumb drive and select the BIOS exe. The new BIOS was installed and my system rebooted.

# *dmidecode* Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs. SMBIOS 3.2.0 present. Table at 0x000E0000. Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 26 bytes BIOS Information Vendor: Dell Inc. Version: 2.13.1 R*elease Date: 05/11/2023*