First: My brother, John Jeddeloh, was found deceased in his home
January 14. He was known on this list as "John Jason Jordan." From his
computer files it looks like he has been active here for many years. I
have even found boxes with meeting posters dating back to 2013.

please help.

Third: Frankly, I was quite surprised to find he was running Linux on
all his computers. I was last able to contact him 27 years ago, and he
was running early word-processing systems at that time. Personally, I
first started using Unix at Tektronix back ca. 1980 and the Usenet days,
and continued through my retirement, lastly working on DSL, Cable,
Ethernet, and Fiber-to-the-Hut home gateways.

However, as to how I am on this account: Pro Tip:
 a) Use a password manager. Share the master password with a
trusted family member or close friend, or leave it in a safe deposit
box, or with you lawyer and a copy of you will.
 b) Have a will while we're at it.
 c) Encrypt your hard drives, and
 d) Don't leave a Debian live thumb drive on you desk next to your
laptop. It can be trivially easy for someone to break into the BIOS to
boot the thumb drive, clear the password on an account, then reboot the
system and log into the account without a password. This not only works
for the guy administering your estate, but also the guy you steals your
laptop from the coffee shop.

-Alan Jeddeloh
Personal Representative,
Estate of John Jeddeloh