Very sorry for your loss. I too have family where either I or the other
family member has chosen to not contact the other. I'm sure that John and I
had talked over the 20+ years I've been a member of this list.

I've been hacking on computers in one form or another for somewhere north
of 40 years. I managed to turn it into a career despite my dad telling me
in 1975, "Computers are a flash in the pan. They'll be gone in 20 years."
As I recall, I was an 8th grader begging for a TRS-80 Model 1. I had to
wait almost a decade before I could buy my first one.

However, one of my special fields of interest is computer security, from
the CPU to the network gateway. I'm not an expert. I feel the field is way
too wide to be expert in all of it. Your comment about what not to do
prompted this message.

One of the best positions I had was "Lab Manager" for Tripwire, Inc.
downtown from 1999 to 2009. When I was there, we had a saying, I'm sure
it's a wide spread idea.

"If you can get physical access to a computer, it's not secure. It's only a
matter of time." That goes with the joke, "The only secure computer is one
that is in a bunker with no windows or door, no power, and no connection to
the outside world. And we're not sure about that one."

I hope this journey isn't too arduous and hopefully John didn't make it too
hard to deal with his end of life. I did this for my sister about 10 years
ago, and I still have some things popping up that I had no idea about.
Mostly innocuous, but some that could have had significant consequences
were I at a different point in my life.

Good luck, and I expect you may not get this because someone probably
efficiently removed John from the list already.

-Russ