On Fri, 23 Feb 2018, Richard England wrote:

With that caveat, note that Ctrl-D, by default, sets double underline.

  Yes. I find that on the customization menu.

You can record a macro in LibreOffice and assign it to Ctrl-D if you want.
Record the macro using these instructions https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Recording_a_Macro

I then used the instructions here as a guide:

Select Keyboard, then Ctrl+D, then "Modify".

In the functions section find "LibreOffice Macros>My Macros > Standard > Module1" and select the "Del_right" macro you saved.

This is just for guidance. I'm sure the process may be "dirty" but it worked for me. As always, YMMV.

  This will do the job. I find it strange that I cannot directly modify
Ctrl+D to do what I want; there's just no way LO recognizes that.