Great to hear that the file copy problem is out of the way.If you keep
that rsync command in your toolbox, it works incrementally. The next
time you run it, it will only copy new files on the other way. If you
change the source and destination, it will copy new files to the other
machine.

To see your local drive, you will need to mount it.
You said:
>      Can you see it mouted by: mount?
Yes. /dev/sda2 on /

That does not seem to be right - as that is your new installation root
directory.
Can you post output of following commands:
sudo fdisk -l
cat /etc/fstab
Thanks, T