On Fri, 1 Jun 2018, Tyrell Jentink wrote:

I have actually done file transfers over RS-232 null modem cables, in the
distant past... Both computers had native serial, as was the custom for
the time... But one had a DSL internet connection, and the other... Well,
it spit in the face of the "Computers with USB always have Ethernet" claim
thrown around here... So, I initially used a terminal client that could
serialize files and send it to another terminal; It worked, but I wanted
more. In those days, PPP-over-Serial was a prominent feature in many
commercial OSes, and I was able to cludge together some simple internet
connection sharing. It worked... Albeit, only as an academic study, a
proof that the text books weren't lying to us so to speak, as one couldn't
even imagine using that crap in production, even in those days...

Tyrell,

  UUCP, perhaps?

So... I foresee lots of reading about "Terminal Node" software in your
future. Of course, the only folks still playing that game use ham radios
instead of null modem cables... But the broad concepts and important
details are the same.

  Of course, there's always sneaker net ... on floppy disks to avoid the
current media.