On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 2:55 AM, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 06/18/2018 02:44 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
>
>> "Richard" == Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> writes:
>>>>>>>

>> Richard> For IDIOSYNCRATIC and weird local constraints I am working on
>> Richard> networking *TWO* computers via a "USB MASTER-USB MASTER"
>> Richard> cable. There are "cookbook"{sic/sick}" for "normal"(sic) users
>> Richard> with ethernet.
>>
>> One important thing to bear in mind, no one here seems to know the
>> answer to your question (perhaps because we don't really know what your
>> question is). The right, free-open-source choice here is to face and
>> slay the dragon yourself, and then report back.
>>

> Dragon not slain, wounded only.
>
> Selected Topics/Links
>>
>> USBNET
>>
>> http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/
>> http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=usb
>> http://www.zeroconf.org/
>>
>> Some man pages
>>
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/usbutils/lsusb.8.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/usbutils/usb-devices.1.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/usbutils/usbhid-dump.8.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/libusb2-dev/libusb.3.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/openssh-client/ssh.1.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/openssh-client/scp.1.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/freebsd-ppp/ppp.8.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/freebsd-manpages/ip.4freebsd.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/iproute2/ip.8.en.html
>> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/manpages/ip.7.en.html
>>
>> misc info
>>
>> https://www.castleproductshop.com/products/Plugable-Windows-
>> Transfer-Cable-for-Windows-10-8-1-8-7-Vista-XP-Includes/588583685
>> https://packages.debian.org/stable/usbutils
>> https://sources.debian.org/patches/usbutils/1:007-4/01-updat
>> e-usb-ids.diff/
>>

>> That said, consider the following questions as you begin your quest:
>>
>> You say "networking".  Can you define what you mean by that word?
>>

> A LAN with only two computers at a time.
>

>> You say "USB Master-USB Master" cable.  Which one?
>>

> I didn't buy online but from local computer store.
> This page describes what I bought.
> https://www.castleproductshop.com/products/Plugable-Windows-
> Transfer-Cable-for-Windows-10-8-1-8-7-Vista-XP-Includes/588583685

The description says, in part:

"Supported by Linux kernel 3.0 and later as a high-speed virtual network
interface, no special file transfer support."

That implies the cable should provide a network interface to both sides.

What happens when you plug it in?  Look in dmesg (near the bottom right
after you plug it in) and you should see something that implies a network
interface has been created.

Then, since it is a a direct network connection, and neither end is running
a DHCP server, you will need to give both sides a static or manual network
configuration.

On host A, at shell prompt, you can run the command:

  ip addr add 192.168.66.1/24 dev eth0

and on host B:

  ip addr add 192.168.66.2/24 dev eth0

note that you will need to replace "eth0" with whatever interface name you
find in dmesg.  It might well have a different name, and the names might be
different on the two hosts.  You will need to do that every time you plug
in the cable, or figure out how your distribution can do this for you when
you plug in the cable.

>From a shell on host A, you can then run a command:

  scp <filename-i-want-to-send> 192.168.66.2:

and the file will land with the same name on in your home directory on host
B.  That assumes your usernames are the same on both computers.  More
generally:

  scp <path-to-file-you-want-to-send>  192.168.66.2
:<path-to-filename-where-you-want-it-to-land-on-host-B>

"scp" is the secure copy command.  You can also use the command "rsync" to
move larger swaths of files.  See manpages for scp and rsync for full
details.