On Tue, 19 Jun 2018, Robert Citek wrote:

I don't fully understand your question, but here are some examples
that may be a step in the right direction:

Robert,

  I did not provide as complete an explanation as I should have.

  Each file has 8761 lines, one for each hour of each day during the
(non-leap) year, plus a header line. It's not just two isolated lines,
unfortunately.

  I don't follow the logic of your two examples for finding only the
duplicate 16:00 hours in each day, and changing only the second instance to
17:00.

$ seq 1 5 | sed -e '1~2s/$/ --/'
1 --
2
3 --
4
5 --

$ seq 1 5 | sed -e '0~2s/$/ --/'
1
2 --
3
4 --
5

  Perhaps I need to write a python script that looks for the string, 16:00,
and sets a flag the first time that's found. The next time it's found, in
the following row, the flag is set so the string is changed to 17:00 and the
flag is unset. Then the script keeps reading until it encounters the next
day's 16:00 row.

Thanks,