On 2018-07-20 19:30:25, John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 09:45:37 +0900
> Bryan Linton <p...@shoshoni.info> dijo:
>
> >     Counterfeit USB flash drives are sometimes sold with
> >     claims of having higher capacities than they actually
> >     have. These are typically low capacity USB drives which
> >     are modified so that they emulate larger capacity drives
> >     (for example, a 2 GB drive being marketed as a 64 GB
> >     drive).
>
> Aha!
>
> [...]
>       Bad news: The device `/dev/sdd' is a counterfeit of type limbo
> [...]
>
> So there we have it. Both drives will soon be on their way back to
> China with complaints filed with eBay.
>
> Now that I know the truth I looked at the packaging. The only thing in
> writing is a heavy paper folded through the blister pack. Reading
> through it there is not one word about how big the drive is. There is a
> round sticker on the drive itself that says '256G,' but that could
> easily have been added by the cons. All they had to do was have the
> paper and sticker printed, pop the blister pack apart and apply them,
> and place the listing on eBay.
>
> And considering that the goods say nothing about the size I can guess
> what will happen when eBay gets my complaint. The seller will insist
> that they never said the drive was 256GB. Well, we'll see what happens.

The optimist in me wants to believe that maybe it was a crooked
employee that switched the larger capacity drives out for a
smaller one to sell for his own profit, rather than the entire
business being crooked, but I suppose in reality it's just as
probable that a single scammer is running the whole operation.

> Thanks a million for bringing this up!

You're very welcome!  I hope you manage to resolve the situation
between you, the seller, and ebay to your satisfaction!

--
Bryan