On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

I have LO 5.1.6.2 on Xubuntu 16.04, and it lists Ctrl-D, but not
Ctrl-d, defining it as double underline.

John,

  Doesn't matter if it is shown with an uppercase D or a lowercase d; press
and hold the ctrl key while pressing the d/D key. No shift key involved.

Actually, it does not list any of the lowercase letters with Ctrl, only
the uppercase letters. I selected a word, then used Ctrl-d, and it gave
the word double underlining, even though the d was lowercase. Then I tried
Ctrl-D and it right-aligned the whole line, the same as Ctrl-r. This is
very strange. Fortunately, I rarely use either function, and if I do I use
the mouse on the Formatting toolbar, so I'm not highly motivated to sleuth
out the cause. Still, I am curiositized as to why Ctrl-D is defined as one
thing but does another.

  Official LO docs show the default for ctrl-D as double underline. As I
wrote, here there is no definition for Ctrl-D or Ctrl-d. The keyboard
shortdut lists has all uppercase letters. When you save a document to you
use Ctrl-Shift-S or just ctrl-s?

  Those of us who use writing tools such as emacs, vim, joe, and LaTeX are
used to the emacs key shortcuts which use ctrl-d to delete the character
immediately right of the cursor (called the 'point' in emacs). Not being
able to assign that function to ctrl-d in LO Writer is frustrating. (As is
LO moving lines to the left margin when I have indented them two spaces.)