On 2/15/19 8:27 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> Beware of brand new HP printers. There may not be support for them in
> Linux for awhile. I posted my inability to see the scanner with either
> Ubuntu or Slackware. Today I finally have a response. Not the kind I was
> hoping for. I did get support to get both the printer and the scanner
> working in Win 7, by letting the support guy replace what came with it
> with something more recent. And both Ubuntu and Slackware can print to
> the printer, so it's not a total waste. Unfortunately, their scanning
> program is not as feature rich as xsane. Hopefully one of these days
> they'll learn something is wrong with HLPIP for this printer (Laser Jet
> Pro MFP M148dw) and fix it.
>
>> Your question #678213 on HPLIP changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/678213

>> Launchpad Janitor expired the question:
>> This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state
>> without activity for the last 15 days.
>>
>> -- If you're still having this problem, you can reopen your question
>> either by replying to this email or by going to the following page and
>> entering more information about your problem:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/678213 You received this
>> question notification because you asked the question.

Sorry I missed the earlier post. I was up to my eyeballs performing
miraculous feats to appease my corporate overlord.  Seems y'all went
around in circles and did not think go to the HPLIP web site to check on
printer support.

Slackware-14.2 includes hplip-3.16.5 which is is too old for your
printer.  Support for the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M148dw was added with
hplip-3.18.9 on 26 September 2018.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/news/hplip

Slackware-current (15.0 BETA) has hplip-3.19.1 and when that hits
'stable' you'll have full print/scan functionality.

-Ed