On Mon, 21 Oct 2019, Ben Koenig wrote:

The device node (sdc or sdd) only changes when devices are removed and
attached by the kernel. Intermittent connections caused by a failing
cable, port, or host controller can result in the some really weird stuff
happening. If I was physically present for this troubleshooting, I would
run through the following steps, VERY SLOWLY:

Ben et al.:

Over the past 20+ years I've used at least a dozen external drive cases and
enclosures without the issues this current one exhibits. Currently have 2
3.5" enclosures (including the old 500G desktop backup) and 3 2.5" cases.
So, I ordered a replacement which will be delivered tomorrow.

When I swap the drive and test the new enclosure I'll report results.

In the meantime we can all get back to our regular weekday activities. :-)

Best regards,