SSH keys are *usually* stored in $HOME/.ssh, and the error you are seeing
clearly indicates that this folder cannot be created. Since it cannot
create the folder, it cannot store your public key, and therefore cannot
authenticate via key pair. I'm fairly new to FreeNAS, but on my box
/nonexistent/ literally does not exist.

 My understanding is that this is a keyword used for users that run without
home directories. Which user are you attempting to use on the FreeNAS end?
Whatever user it being used to read/write files on your NAS box appears to
be configured to run without a $HOME folder, and will be unable to store a
public key for authentication.

This is is just a guess but if the BackupPC app runs as a given user, you
may need to add a home folder for that user. Then you will be able to
transfer your public key to it.
-Ben