you haven't given a whole lot of information about how you are setting up
your users, so I can't really answer your question

What user is initiating the backup on centos? which user is saving the data
on FreeNAS? What is the rsync command being deployed to initiate the file
transfer?
Also, you say that you just changed /nonexistent to /root, but where? Did
you make this change on FreeNAS, through which interface? Or was it on
CentOS?

I can tell that you are running an rsync based backup application, but
other than than i know pretty much nothing about your setup. The error
message you gave was pretty straightforward, but without knowing which
applications you have configured where, I don't know what the root cause of
that error is.