Hello all,

OSCON was permanently cancelled today and there is a very good chance that the face-to-face PLUG meetings will be cancelled for the coming months.

What are your thoughts on virtual or substitute activities?

On one hand, doing nothing is always easiest and I am a skeptic against "virtualized" conferences, especially if an organizer were to think they can charge their traditional rates to stream presenters in their pajamas in their kitchens.

On the other hand, I have worked from home for 20+ years and think that everyone needs to expand their remote working/learning/teaching capacity to the point that schools have regular "learn from home" drills to go with the active shooter drills, leaving us all semi-prepared for pandemics and the like.

I have reached out to a school district tech (I can think of another too!) to give a remote talk about the scramble to deliver remote learning.

BUT: What does this mean to you as the audience? What elements such as Q&A do you need to have to make a live stream any different from a random YouTube video?

When it comes down to the essentials, the undivided attention aspect of a face to face event is the key value. I have not once had to change a diaper or let the dog out during a PLUG talk. I've wandered as far as checking Twitter and occasionally go to the restroom but 95%+ of my attention is there. That has not been the case with recent virtualized events I have "attended".

What say you?

Stay safe,

Michael Dexter
PLUG Volunteer