That is kind of a pita because this screen is in a location where
during the early morning and evening, lights are turned on and
off. When off we want the screen to drop way down but when
on it needs to come back up so it will be visible again. I know
it works, I have a laptop that has Mate on it and it does it automagicly
I did not even install it. But on this machine I do not even see
see the setup for auto adjust.
I am going to move it to 20.04 anyhow, and the ambient light
auto adjust is quite clearly in 20.04.  Maybe with the install the
system did not see the hardware to do this auto ambient and
just did not install it, not sure. But I know that the HP Compaq
6300 does have the hardware for it as I see windows setup info
for dealing with it.