On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 5:29 PM Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jun 2020, Michael Barnes wrote:
>
> > The gray plug is for the microphone. This particular headset required
> > "phantom power" on the microphone line to power the microphone. Some
> > equipment may provide this natively, most will not. The headset should
> > have come with a small box to hold a couple of AA batteries. If your
> > device does not provide phantom power, then you should put batteries in
> > the box, plug the headset into it, and plug it into your device. This
> will
> > provide the necessary power to activate the microphone and provide audio
> > to your device.
>
> Michael,
>
> Aha! I searched the web for insight into when that extra power source
> should
> be used and failed to find anything. I've no idea how to determine if the
> Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard provide phantom power. So, I'll load a
> couple of batteries and try again ... tomorrow.
>
> This still doesn't resolve that meet.jit.si doesn't recognize the webcam
> mic
> or the Audio-Technica mic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

I do not know what your electronics skills are like, so this may or may not
be useful. Obtain a plug and cable that fits your microphone jack on your
device. the other end should be bare wires. Plug it in and use a voltmeter
to test across the microphone wires. If you read a DC voltage, then you
should not need an in line power source. While the "industry standard" for
phantom power is 48VDC, many modern electret microphones work just fine on
much less. The CM500 will actually work on as little as 3 VDC, hence the
battery box with two AAA batteries. Many ham radios and some computers
typically put 8 VDC on the microphone line to power electret microphones.
Of course the quickest test is to simply plug it in and see if you get
detectable audio. If you do, then there is enough voltage available to run
the microphone. If there is no, low, or distorted, audio, then you need
inline power injected.

HTH,
Michael