On 2020-06-20 11:35:44, John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:
> I have placed the order for the replacement SSD drive, but some time
> before it gets here I want to update the BIOS. My motivation is that
> the T61 came with SATA at 1.5GB/s, and by updating to the 'Middleton'
> BIOS I can get 3.0GB/s. However, I am pretty lost when it comes to
> flashing a BIOS - I've only ever done it once, a long time ago.
> Lenovo's website doesn't seem to list mt computer, but I'm probably
> looking in the wrong place. The forums provide links for the new BIOS,
> and all of them are dead.
>
> Here are the details from the bottom of the case:
>
>       Type 6460-7EU
>       S/N L3-C3254 07/09
>
> (I think the 07/09 means September, 2007.)
>
> If anyone has ever flashed the BIOS on a T61 I could use some advice.

Hello John,

Updating the BIOS on a T61 should be fairly straightforward.

I've updated the BIOS on a T60, X61t, T440p, and T460 and they're
all pretty much the same.

I found these two links from Lenovo's website titled, "BIOS Update
Utility - ThinkPad R61 14.1inch widescreen with IEEE 1394,
ThinkPad T61, T61p"

Windows EXE: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/jp/en/downloads/DS013832
Bootable CD: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/jp/en/downloads/migr-67989

The text at the bottom lists a large number of supported models of
the R61, which includes "7Ex" which I'm assuming matches the "7EU"
of your model.

For the T-series, it only lists "T61, T61p", which I'm assuming
means it supports all models of the T61.  IIRC, there was a 14.1"
and 15" model of the T60 and/or T61, and they needed separate
BIOSes.  Perhaps my memory is mistaken, or perhaps Lenovo found a
way to unify the BIOS updates somehow.

The easiest way to update the BIOS would be to download the
bootable CD, burn it, and boot from it, following the prompts.

If you want to save a CD, you can use the "geteltorito" program to
extract an image you can write to a USB stick and boot from that:
        https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/geteltorito/
(Packages are likely available in other distros, the above is
simply the first link that came up in a search).

One thing to mention, when I first updated my T60's BIOS to a
newer version, I began to get worried because it appeared to have
gotten stuck in a reboot loop right after POSTing.

However, after rebooting itself about 4-5 times in a row (one of
them getting stuck on the POST screen for a lot longer than the
others) the system came up fine and has worked flawlessly for
years afterwards.  So don't panic if your system reboots several
times after updating.

Other than that, just be sure to follow the advice in the
readme.txt.  E.g. Make sure the battery is fully charged and the
system is connected to AC power.

Updating a BIOS can be a bit intimidating the first time one does
it because of the risk of bricking the system if something goes
wrong, but so long as you follow the instructions and read the
readme files beforehand, they're actually pretty straightforward.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

--
Bryan