On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 14:23:28 +0900
Bryan Linton <p...@shoshoni.info> dijo:

>One thing I forgot to mention, you may want to consider installing
>a third-party modified BIOS.  Indeed if SATA II is your goal, the
>pages on ThinkWiki seem to imply that the official BIOS won't
>enable SATA II speeds.
>
>https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Middleton%27s_BIOS
>
>       "SATA II Mod: While the X61/T61/R61/X300 possess a SATA
>       II-interface (up to 3.0 GBit/s) they were limited to SATA
>       I (up to 1.5 GBit/s) in the BIOS to maintain compatibility
>       with older drives. Normal hard drives will rarely max out
>       SATA I speeds, but nowadays, SSDs can handle the full 3.0
>       GBit/s (and more)."
>
>And indeed, on Lenovo's forums, I found this page:
>
>https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series-plus-Other-Legacy-ThinkPads/T61-Support-SATA-II/m-p/64464?page=6#97928
>
>       "For Santa Rosa-based systems, the Intel ICH8 supports a
>       SATA bus speed of up to 3.0 Gb/s. Lenovo made a design
>       decision to prioritize maintaining compatibility with
>       Ultrabay disk drives, which are connected via a
>       SATA-to-PATA conversion chip which could not handle a 3.0
>       Gb/s SATA bus speed reliably. Therefore the system was
>       standardized to 1.5 Gb/s."
>
>So it would seem that if SATA II is your goal, the only option is
>to use a third-party BIOS.  Obviously, they aren't officially
>supported by Lenovo and would void your warranty, though
>considering the age of the T61 series, I'm sure any warranties on
>them expired about a decade ago.

Indeed, the only reason I want to flash the BIOS is to get 3.0GB/s with
the new SSD that I have on order. And that means the Middleton BIOS. It
is not supported by Lenovo, but I haven't read any disaster stories
about it. Lots of posts say that if it fails you would have to replace
the motherboard to recover. That doesn't make sense to me - why not
just re-flash the BIOS with the latest official BIOS? Anyway, if I
brick my T61 I'll just turn the new drive into a USB drive for backups.

Thanks for including the link above, as I had been looking for a place
to download the Middleton BIOS. Unfortunately, the site requires me to
give them my e-mail, and then install their app (Java?) on my computer
before I can download it. That's ridiculous. I'll have to find it
someplace else, or just forget about it.

>From reading the above, you may sacrifice compatibility with
>using a hard disk in the Ultrabay were you to install the
>third-party BIOS.  I'm not sure if this would affect the CD-ROM
>drive which is what is installed in the Ultrabay by default
>though.

I'll never use the Ultrabay for anything besides the DVD drive that
came with the computer. Back in the day when this was my main computer
I used the DVD drive constantly, but nowadays it's doubtful that I'll
use it at all.

>The Middleton BIOS comes with a somewhat strong disclaimer:

I'm willing to take the risk. I just need to find a decent place to
download it.