I have a small collection of Garmin GPS devices that I really like to use.
I've bought all of them used over the years, mostly at thrift stores for
~$5.00 each.  I think using WINE to upgrade the firmware carries a risk of
bricking them.  Your best bet is to install Windows on bare metal & use
that to update the firmware.
On a related note, I'd like to try installing Openstreetmap on my Garmin
1350, if I can find good instructions on how to do that.  That's the only
way to keep most of their maps updated without paying Garmin some crazy
amount of $ each time you update the map.