On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 5:37 PM TomasK <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> CentOS 7 is pretty old (predates it by years) for your hardware - you
> need kernel 5.3 or newer for this to work properly.
>
> I am not sure if you can get this new kernel from CentOS 7
> repositories. If you are used to CentOS - try CentOS stream or Fedora
> with newer kernel.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Tomas
>
> On Fri, 2020-12-11 at 16:53 -0800, Michael Barnes wrote:
> > Just got a new computer a friend built. It is using a Biostar B550GTA
> > Motherboard. I installed CentOS 7 in it, which went well.
> >
> > Problem is, I cannot get a network connection. I plug in the Ethernet
> > cable
> > and get a good light on the switch and a blinking yellow light on the
> > jack
> > in the computer. Cable verified good.
> >
> > If I do an 'ip a' it only shows io, no eth0. If I run the network
> > utility
> > nmtui, it does not show any Ethernet devices.
> >
> > I haven't worked on machines at this level in a few years, so I have
> > likely
> > forgotten all the obvious stuff. I went into the Motherboard setup
> > and find
> > nothing regarding enable/disable onboard Ethernet.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael

First, the computer I had was too old. Now, it is too new. I have to use
CentOS7 for the application I am running, which uses qt4. CentOS8 only has
qt5, which is not backwards compatible. And, so far, everything I have seen
says because CentOS Stream is based on pre-release RHEL, it is not ready
for production use. Looks like I'm getting caught between a rock and a hard
place.

I wanted to see what it said about the nic, so I ran lspci and got "command
not found". I guess I need to install pciutils, which is on the
installation DVD, but I don't know how to install it from that. Only have
the command line at this time.

Michael