On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 6:33 AM Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> My Yamaha CM500 headset uses micro phono plugs rather than a USB "A" plug
> for connection to the desktop. 'pavucontrol' tells me that the front
> microphone is unplugged.
>
> As there are no instructions with the headset I want to check that I'm
> connecting it correctly.
>
> I assume the black plug is audio and is plugged into the green port on the
> front of the case. The grey plug I assume to be the microphone. I connected
> the mic to the supplied amplifier powered by 2 AAA batteries and plugged it
> into the red port on the front of the case.
>
> How should I troubleshoot this situation so I can get the headset working
> properly?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

First, USB is digital serial data and audio is analog varying voltage.
Apples and oranges. You would not plug your toaster into a water faucet.

I use several CM500 headsets, they are great. If you look very closely, you
will see the plugs have pictures of headsets and microphones and say
"PHONE" and "MIC" on them. Yes, black for ear, gray for mic. The microphone
on these headsets requires a voltage called "phantom power" to operate, as
most microphones these days do. Most modern soundcards actually provide
this power built-in. In jacks that accept a microphone. As some systems
only use straight audio, a small adapter providing power to the microphone
is provided. That little box only puts voltage on the cable to the
microphone. It is not an amplifier.

The circuitry in the modern soundcard expects microphones to need the
voltage and detects current draw. If it does not detect current draw, it
assumes nothing is plugged in. It may or may not accept audio, depending on
how it is designed. Sometimes these things are too smart for their own good.

So, in your case, I would first try plugging the headset directly into the
jacks without the battery box. If it says unplugged, try your app anyway.
Be sure your audio routing is properly configured. If that doesn't work,
try putting the battery box in the microphone line. If that doesn't work,
consider getting a USB sound dongle and connecting through that.

HTH,

Michael