On 2/2/21 12:09 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 23:48:03 -0800
Ben Koenig <techkoe...@gmail.com> dijo:

A simple test to help everyone here understand what your machine is
doing would be to run through a few reboots and grab the list of
devices, like so

1) unplug your TB-3 drives and reboot.

2) record the output of 'ls -l /dev/nvme*' here

3) turn the computer off

4) plug in the TB-3 drives

5) turn the computer on and run 'ls /dev/nvme*' again.

This will clearly isolate the device nodes for your enclosure
independently of everything else on your computer. Once we have the
drives isolate, it's trivial to watch them for irregular behavior.
Until we have more confidence in the existence of your /dev/nvme nodes
we can ignore the other symptoms.
Here are the results:

1: (after unplugging TB3 device and rebooting)
crw------- 1 root root 239, 0 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0n1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 1 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0n1p1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0n1p2
Note that nvme0 is a 1TB m.2 drive inside the Thinkpad that holds / and
/home.

2: (after turning off computer, plugging in TB3 device, and booting)
crw------- 1 root root 239, 0 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme0n1
crw------- 1 root root 239, 1 Feb  2 11:47
/dev/nvme1 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme1n1
crw------- 1 root root 239, 2 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 1 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme2n1
crw------- 1 root root 239, 3 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 3 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme3n1
crw------- 1 root root 239, 4 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 4 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4n1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 5 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4n1p1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 6 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4n1p2

OK so then everything seems to be connecting at the hardware level. Your TB controller is exposing 4 NVMe devices and they are identifying as block devices ("disks") which means that the hardware is functioning.

What stands out is that of the 4 disks only 1 of them actually has partitions. This strikes me as odd.

As a simple test, can you create a test folder in /mnt and see if those partitions on nvme4 are mountable?

$ mkdir /mnt/nvme

$ mount /dev/nvme4n1p1 /mnt/nvme

Both commands should be run as root and I'm assuming you have nothing mounted in /mnt. If that succeeds and you can view files let me know. Also post any output from the mount command here.

-Ben