Here's a fun trivia task. For an activity I am involved in, I get files
from members to process. The filename starts with the member's name and has
other info to identify the file. After processing, the file goes in the
./Processed folder. There are thousands of files now in that folder. Right
now, I'm looking for a couple basic pieces of information. First, I want to
know how many unique names I have in the list. Second, I'd like a list of
names and how many files go with each name.

I'm sure this is trivial, but my mind is blanking out on it. A couple
simple examples would be nice. Non-answers, like "easy to do with'xxx'" or
references to man pages or George's Book, etc. are not helpful right now.

Thanks,
Michael