On 2/1/22 08:20, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2022, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> What have I missed?
> Still clueless on the source of the problem. However, aplay -L shows all
> available audio cards, sound-test produces its default sound, and mplayer
> produces output from the podcast .mp3 I downloaded to the speakers and the
> Yamaha headset (which is much clearer than the speakers, Ed).

Rich,

In Slackware 14.2, older audacity and pulse easily confuse each other.
Sometimes setting the playback hw:x,y confuses the heck out of
pulseaudio.  Here I set:

Host = ALSA
Playback Device = pulse
Recording device = default: Front microphone:0

I'm using the front mic jack on my Sounndbaster so adjust as needed.

-Ed