On 2/4/22 13:47, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2022, Galen Seitz wrote:

Look at the output of "cat /proc/mdstat". mdraid may still be working to
build the RAID1 array.

Looking at /proc/mdstat I see that it's chugging away while root returned to
its shell prompt in 8 seconds.

/proc/mdstat tells me that 'resync = 1.8% (37030848/1953383488)
finish=1550.7min' (at that time) so it will be about 26 hours before it's
finished.

Since this process is owned by root will it continue after I log out? I
assume so but don't know for certain.

This is normal. mdraid works at the kernel/device driver level. It will keep doing its thing as long as the system is up. Even if you were to shut it down, it would pick up where it left off upon rebooting. BTW, what you are seeing is likely not a process, but rather a kernel thread. IIRC, the ps command shows kernel threads by enclosing them in square brackets. For example:

[galens@zinc ~]$ ps aux | grep raid
root       572  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<    2020 557:05 [md1_raid1]
root       577  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<    2020   1:47 [md0_raid1]

Regarding the type of RAID to use, and based on my limited understanding of your goals, I think you just want a simple RAID1 array.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
gal...@seitzassoc.com