On Fri, 4 Feb 2022, John Jason Jordan wrote:

That is sort of true. With two physical disks RAID0 turns them into one
device. In theory your OS reads/writes to both at the same time, speeding
things up by a factor of two. In reality the speedup is far less than two.
And since both disks have been turned into one device, you have no place
to put a mirror. And another bad point about RAID0 is that if one disk
fails, you lose both disks, because half of file was written to one disk
and the other half to the other. Trying to recover means you have to match
all the parts; not generally possible.

John,

Thanks for confirming. That's what I thought RAID0 did and I assumed the
HOW-TO was providing approaches to flavors other than RAID1, which has the
redundancy I want.

Root's crontab runs backups at 00:30 each night. Since only changes are
written to the vaults I'm not concerned about speed.

Stay well,