On Thu, Feb 10, 2022, 18:55 Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2022, Bill Barry wrote:
>
> > I don't know how far into setting this up, but you might want to
> > consider a ZFS mirror instead of the mdadm raid1.
>
> Bill,
>
> The 'create' function's been running about 2 hours so far. Now that I've
> dug
> deep into mdadm (having to redo the array several times due to hdd
> failures)
> I'm comfortable using it.
>
> > It could be a little easier to manage.
>
> Once I get it set up again and it's accepting input from my dirvish
> backups,
> rather than stuffing / to its gills, I don't expect to need to manage it
> unless one of the new WD Red NAS disks fails.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, though. I had gotten away from deep dives into
> hardware and software over the past few years and I don't mind getting back
> to it and learning new things.
> .

You should start using UUIDs rather than /dev/sd* especially when having
the disks hanging outside the actual PC. .... of course they can randomly
change letters causing things to go south.

I would expect that this would be clear after long mailing list sagas of
similar trouble with John's Mediasonic, or whatever the actual disk holding
contraption....

-T