Out-of-band management, e.g. DRAC, does work from boot up.  But that's for
servers and a few high-end desktops.  But you have to ask yourself, how
often are you messing with the BIOS and/or firmware?

VMs are a nice solution, too: minimal OS + hypervisor on the hardware, then
full OS in a VM.  For example, VMWare's ESXi.  You can view and manage the
boot up from within a browser.

That said, I've had very good experiences with Avocent KVM over IP
switches.  They are wonderful for managing bare metal in distant data
centers or just across the room.

Regards,
- Robert