On Thu, 14 Jul 2022, Russell Senior wrote:

I tend to let the device (your camera in this case) do the formatting for
maximum compatibility. Devices tend not to follow the Robustness
Principle[1], but Linux does. Linux isn't going to know what quirks the
limited implementation on the camera might have or how to satisfy them,
but it is likely to be able to cope with whatever the camera needs and
uses.

Russell,

This tiny camera (a cube about 23 mm per side) doesn't have a menu system
that includes a formatting option. That's why I wanted to check how it was
formatted, if formatted at all. More info at their web site:
<https://www.sirgawain.net/>.

The camera turns on and off, has a few different modes (including IR and
motion detection) and that's about it. I'm going to mount it on a kitchen
window blind slat and aim it down the driveway to see what comes by at
night. Wish I had it 4 years ago when my Pathfinder was stolen off my
driveway in less than 1 minute.

I used a trail camera in the back yard and got night pictures of my
resident squirrel as well as a coyote crossing the little park behind the
house.

Regards,