-Ben

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, January 16th, 2023 at 3:50 PM, Rich Shepard
<rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2023, Ben Koenig wrote:
>
> > That's probably fine. My rule of thumb is to not PLUG higher end hubs into
> > lower end ports. e.g. a bunch of USB 3.0 devices in a hub that connects to
> > a USB 2.0 host.
>

> Ben,
>
> Makes sense to me.
>
> > But it sounds like your board has some of the fancier new ports. I bet
> > it's listed as a single port because newer USB speeds can do a multi-lane
> > thing for higher speeds. I bet both connects are tied together so if you
> > leave one empty you might actually get the full 10Gbps. But using both
> > simultaneously will probably throttle each to 5Gbps.
>

> I'm not concerned about data transfer rates, but preparing video tutorials.
>
> > So it should be fine. You aren't doing any serious data transfers or AR/VR
> > so it should handle things. Test and verify the hub when you get it since
> > they can be wonky. Especially the bigger hubs, 10 external ports is the
> > pinnacle of hedonism.
>

> I assume AR and VR refer to audio recording and video recording? If so,
> that's just what I want to do.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Whoops, no AR/VR is Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality. As in VR headsets.
I've seen a lot of motherboards brag about USB ports that are dedicated to that
purpose which just means that it's a more robust implementation.

I looked up your mobo and it looks like it has that setup. On the back of the
PRIME X470-PRO there is a single USB Type A connector right next to a USB-C
connector. This is actually a single port, and you should treat it as such. If
you plug your HUB into one of those ports and leave the other empty then it
probably won't get cranky when other stuff is happening. You can even get a
USB-C compatible hub to minimize RF interference!

Also, logitech webcams don't count as video recording so as long as you keep it
simple you should be fine. It's not like you are pulling down 1080p frames at
30fps in a lossless format.
-Ben