That switch was an epic shitshow. Mostly due to GPU driver limitations and a
complete lack of official OEM installation tools. Things might be different
now.

At the time, a lot of users actually asked if they could stay on the older XFCE
based desktop. Mint didn't add any significant value to the end-user.

And I would know... I was part of the transition "team".
-Ben